This gorgeous paperback cover painting by Lou Feck is one of my most prized possessions. I bought it about ten years ago from a colleague who claimed to have found it - along with some other original paintings by different artists - in a dumpster behind a New York office building.
As a kid growing up, I had admired Feck's art on a number of paperbacks I owned (including a Bantam collection of Robert E. Howard's Kull stories, and at least one of the James Blish Star Trek books), and he was one of the first cover artists that I learned to identify. When I had the opportunity to buy this Feck original - with the added attraction of it being a crime painting - I couldn't resist. It hangs on my office wall next to my desk; this is a digital photo, and isn't quite true to Feck's amazing use of color on the piece.
Oddly, there's very little info out there on the artist, and I wish I knew more about him. He seemed to work a lot for Bantam Books - including several covers for the early Clive Cussler "Dirk Pitt" novels and a fair number of science fiction titles. I believe he passed away in 1981.
On the back of this painting, scrawled in black marker, is "The Assassinater" (sic), which I presume is the title (or an approximation thereof) of the book this painting graced.... but I have not been able to track it down. From the dead girl's clothing, I'm guessing it was published in the mid-to-late Sixties.
I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows what book this painting appeared on. I'd like to track down a copy since I own the painting. If anyone knows - Bish, maybe? - please drop me a line.


0 Yorumlar