Beat 93: Should’ve Thrown Her in a Rubber Room…
Lloyd trotted out of the gas station at a brisk pace, holding up a plastic bag like a stolen treasure. In his haste, he nearly became the new hood ornament of a passing truck -- but a quick swivel of his feet put him back on track and heading across the street. “Miss O’Lea- I mean, Sheila! I have returned with good news, and a greater bounty!” he cheered, and stumbled toward her after tripping on the curb. “Behold! The fruits of my -- which is to say some factory somewhere in the depths of this continent -- labors!”
“What did you get?” Sheila asked.
“Ha ha! Prepare yourself for a grand treat, my dear!” He reached into the bag and pulled out his bounty: a honey bun, with its glaze and sugars sticking to the crinkled wrapping. “If what I’ve heard is true, there’s nary a woman in this world that can resist the allure of sweets. Therefore, I offer this, a swirly tribute, to your magnificent being!”
Sheila’s head tilted slowly. “Do I…have to say some kind of poem before I take it?” She scratched her temple. “I don’t think I’ve got it in me to talk like a super-flowery dandy all day long like you do.”
She’s on-point with her offhand insults, Lloyd thought with a sigh. In spite of that, he handed her the honey bun, and watched in silence as Sheila took a few delicate bites. “Well? How is it?”
“It’s good. Really good.”
Lloyd snapped his fingers. “Heh HA! Excellent! So it would seem that the words of men wiser than me have come to pass! I’ll be sure to rely on their wisdom in the future, that I may continue to win your favor! Mayhap some day in the future, I’ll be able to offer you a cake of the highest caliber.” He stroked his chin. “Perhaps one with a distinct cantaloupe flavor? I’ve always felt as if it’s a bit underrated in the fruity pantheon, you see.”

0 Yorumlar